Saturday, May 21, 2011

Today/tonight I finished up the prep work on the air inlet. I found some damage that had to be cut out, and will have to do a bit of hand sanding, but it is ready for glass and then final shaping & smoothing.





Another part that was started is the rear side panel that the suspension and drive axle go thru. This was an odd part to fix. More on that in a minute.






After I started grinding on some of the panel, I noticed chunks of resin and glass were "popping" up. After looking, I saw the odd part: Oil penetrated the fiberglass and caused it to not be able to adhere to the sub layers.


I am pretty sure that I was able to grind out the suspect areas as well as clean the oils out with acetone. I will know for sure when I start laying glass.






After a good hour and half of grinding, smoothing, and reshaping, I was left with this:




I still need to sand the paint and gelcoat off the other side, but I will wait until I have a layer or two of fresh S-Glass (a stronger, structural fiberglass) layed and cured.


Next on the list for tonight was the side-pod. This has quite a bit of damage, and will need to have some areas completely rebuilt.


I got a bit further than I thought I would with this tonight. There is still more to be done, but like the rear panel, I will have to glass a new layer on the underside before I continue to grind out the cracked glass and gel-coat.




No comments:

Post a Comment