Saturday, June 4, 2011

More Items

After I cleaned the trans/suspension panel with acetone, I cut out some s-glass to add a bit of strength to the panel.
The first step to the glassing is to lay down a coat of resin. The coat does not need to be thick, but it does need to be even, and does need to penetrate any glass that is exposed.

After the base coat is down, the glass is layed down and another layer of resin is poured on, and "wet-out", or spread evenly.

I used a body filler spreader to evenly spread the resin and wet the glass cloth.

As for the air inlet, I had to add a piece of s-glass to the inside to cover some holes. The process for this is the same as above. I spread 2 coats of resin over the whole thing to give me a bit of material to sand/shape. Also, I glassed a mounting tab back to the side pod floor. It looks like crap, but that is by design. The more glass and resin you add, the more you can shape to get things right.



First coat of resin to the engine cover. I will be adding the glass to the underside, but at this time, I just needed to add some strength to the panel.

This is the side pod bottom that had the core damage. I cut three sections of carbon fiber to fill the core. After it fully cures, I will add a layer or two of s-glass over the carbon fiber, and blend it with the rest of the panel.



No comments:

Post a Comment