Saturday, June 4, 2011

Side-Pod Work

After looking at what I had available to work with, I decided to make a one time mold to fix the side-pod. I figured that it would save time, and also give the best results to make the damage look like it never happened.

The damaged pod:

The good side pod:


First, a nice backing of plastic. Resin will not bond to plastic, and it is easily applied to any shape.


Glass and resin is then added to the plastic covered area, and cured.

The second layer of resin, I made sure to mix it hot to make it jell really quickly. As you can see, resin and methel ethel ketone peroxide (MEKP) gets hot during the chemical reaction, or curing. THe final temp that I saw from the hot batch was about 135 degrees.

Cured, and popped from the good side pod:



The mold buck laying in the damaged side pod:

While holding the buck to the side pod, you can see the reason I decided to make the mold. Now I just need to do a bit of sanding on the mold, a quick coat of plastic, and then it will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment